All times are UTC [ DST ]

Need some advice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 pm 

Can I ask you all to do me a huge favour and have a good look around my site and let me know what you think (warts and all)

I'm not totally happy with the actual pages in the shop - can you pay particular attention to the birthday section - the first card there I have presented 2 ways - I can't decide what is the best way to display them, but am very aware its a long page. I did try giving each card its own page too - but it really didn't work. Partly I'm constrained by what I can physically change in weebly - so am I barking up the wrong tree?

grateful *hugs* being sent in advance

Vicky

Re: Need some advice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:42 pm 

Vicky

I have had a good poke around your web site and here are a few comments. These comments are constructive and will make you think of what a customer is looking for and being able to find what they are looking for quickly.

On the card shop, you can only click on the button, not the photograph. Is it possible on Weebly to make the photograph a clickable link as well.

Titling the cards Anniversary 1, 2, 3 4, etc is very boring. Inspire potential customers with a better title.

When you are in a category, you have to go back to the card shop before you can go to a different category. Is it possible to add a a line of tabs for the categories, or a button at the bottom of the page to the next category.

The baby section could be divided into boy and girl as that would be the general search criteria most people would be interested in.

The Family Birthdays button does not work.

Birthday section could be made into themes. Think of subjects that work like Football, Fishing, Cake Making, Music, Cars, etc and have sub categories so you can find what you want quickly, rather than wading through everything.

What about children's and major adult age cards?

You seem to have little choice in Get Well compared to Good Luck.

Special Days should be sub-divided into Mother's Day and Father's Day.

The Gallery of sold cards should have some text to say you can still create similar ones as a special order.

In the testimonial section, change the date to just the year as it looks as though you have sold nothing worthwhile since mid May.

Generally your site works fast and looks fine for a craft site. Sorry, no bad comments no matter how hard I tried.

Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:57 pm 

Its a nice friendly looking site. I can only tell you about appearance as I have no technical knowledge at all but I managed to get round it fine so can't be too bad. I do see what Roger means about clicking on the card rather or as well as the title. I automatically clicked the card. I liked it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:43 pm 

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I know the family birthday doesn't work - there's nothing in it yet but there's some stuff to soon enough leave the link there. And stock level issues are all down to the cards I mostly made years ago. Maybe 5% of the stuff I've got online has been made since I made this a business - maybe even less than that - its taken ages to get everything ready and in a state that can. I can easily add links to the pictures on the card shop. Some other stuff there to think about - and stuff I'm still tinkering with too!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:01 pm 

If I am perfectly honest I would not have a clue where to start so take my hat off to you. lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't had time to have a proper look - will try and do that tomorrow. I do like the colours and I like the way the card shop is laid out...

I would say my pet peeve is pictures of the business owner on the front page - not that you aren't nice to look at and all that :) But if you're selling cards people want to see cards...it takes 3 seconds for people to visit your front page and make an assessment as to whether they want to stay and look at the rest of your site - you have to immediately engage them and appeal to them. Also, to optimise your search engine listings it's good to have the blurb describing your product (rather than you, if you see what I mean)....Try and have an image (or a background image) that sells people a lifestyle - Caroline is the mistress of this...People don't buy cards because the person who made them is passionate about making them, they buy cards because they want to be the kind of person who buys a handmade card :) Hope that makes sense and doesn't come across as critical of all your hard work - it isn't meant to be and if you ignore me completely (as many do ) I won't be insulted or peeved :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:48 am 

Sorry Vicky missed this post but was sure I had red and replied, those pesky forum pixie's again.

I like the colour of your site but must admit as Jude said think the picture of you and about you should be on a separate section, nothing to do with how you look but customers want to see product on the first page.

As Jude says you are selling a lifestyle and something they really want so if you can add a slide show of some cards would be good a a bit about the business. The sections you need to be able to add a link to the cards so they expand and maybe name the cards.

If we take Baby cards split into Girl, Boy and Twins under the header of baby cards. The each card have a name such as Baby card 1 - Teddy Girl, baby card 2 - Teddy Boy, baby card 3 - snapsuit, baby card 4 - Jack in the box etc.

Childrens: 1 - Happy Hippo, 2 -Mr Tiger etc

You can still have the ref no.s abbreviated in your paypal listing say Mr Tigger BCC2, for birthday card children 2 if that helps you find them easier.

Customers now seem to want to be led to what to buy and how it would benefit their lives, hard I know with cards but the principal is the same. If you look at any of the property programmes buyers have no imagination unless involved in our field they seem to have lost the ability to have vision. Plus from my point of view dealing with the US market they love titles to things and it is getting more like that over here.

With the family birthdays hide until filled as empty sections are not good, you can always publish when ready.

You are on the right track and websites are always a work in progress, I have changed mine more times than I have had hot dinners, lol

Don't want to sound negative but it does take time and know you can be so restricted with some of the free sites, I use Sandvox and that has its restrictions but yet to take the plunge and buy dreamweaver. It may be worth looking at some of the others out there. I went down the software route as that way I only have to pay for hosting and my domain name which comes to about £35.00 per year, dreamweaver would be the same but far more advanced software but at the end of the day after the initial outlay of about £249.00 would then be back on track.

You will get there and if we can help on here we will x

http://www.caroleecrafts.com
http://caroleecrafts.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:57 am 

Interestingly I was thinking yesterday about that picture of me! Clearly great minds think alike. Thanks for the advice guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:04 pm 

Tinker...tinker...bang...crash...tinker...tinker

Now let's see new homepage (tick)
I've had a bit of a play with the birthdays page (not dividing it into catergories until I get the look right)

Can I ask you again (because you all love me) to look at the site but specifically click on the 'under construction button which will take you to my 1st secret page and then click on the first card picture (B1) and you should have my second secret page...depending on what you guys think (and a few of my other friends too) then I will begin to weave this magic to all of the shop (as and when time allows) once my first fair is done with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:08 pm 

Just off to hosp;ital, do it when I get back.