All times are UTC [ DST ]

My first Craft Fair
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:11 pm 

I shall be selling my cards (first time face to face) at a school fair on July 5th. I've got about 120 cards in various catergories to take with me to sell and my pricing is a very simple size based scale (all cards have a coloured dot on them which corresponds to 1 of 4 prices.(will display a very clear poster with prices on) I want to make some cards for areas I don't have a lot of stock in - weddings, thank you (for teachers) but otherwise don't think I need to be industrious 24:7 to have enough things there.

I ordered a collapsible wire display stand, some single card clip stands and some fabric for tablecovers, and am thinking of popping to IKEA to get a couple of little wicker baskets to put some cards in (everyone likes a rummage - I think) oh yes and some paper bags to put sold cards into

The cards all have verses, and I've spent the last day printing out large stickers with the verse on it - and these need to be stuck on the back of the card's cello bag.

I've purchased public liability insurance (so I'm covered there) so just trying to think about what else I need to do/need to know....Over to the experts please :?
Vicky

(ps also going to post this on another craft forum where I've seen some of you lurk too - just in case you think the posts are remarkably similar - copy and paste all the way! :geek: )

Re: My first Craft Fair
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

I've only ever done one fair, so I'm not much help, I'm afraid. Good idea to take someone with you to talk to, but make sure you aren't chatting away and ignoring potential customers.

I would take a bunch of business cards or leaflets with some examples of your cards - I sold more on my website from people who picked up a leaflet than from people on the night :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:17 pm 

Take some cards to be working on, customers love to see you at work so to speak and proves that you do make them. As Jude said plenty of bus cards and also if you do bespoke designs an album so they can flick through. Order book just in case.

Set your stall up before you go, take a pic then you can copy and tweek when you get there.

http://www.caroleecrafts.com
http://caroleecrafts.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:22 pm 

Haha. I have just said the very same thing on my response on that other place. Nice to know we are on the same wavelength. Good luck with it and do let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:44 pm 

Vicky

Do check with organiser how big the table is you will be using as that can change from venue to venue. It is not uncommon for changes on the day. Recently I found a 5ft table was only 4ft! Also sometimes sellers forget to turnup and tables might be added to your display for free.

Make sure the table cloth reaches the floor at the front and sides as you can keep any boxes, handbag etc unseen under the table.

Take a notebook and pen, it is surprising how many comments, contacts, notes of other fairs, etc you will want to record.

Make or buy a sign with your trading name and contact details. It may just be a printed and laminated A4 page or a printed banner that can be pinned to your table cloth.

With regard to your pricing, it is certainly wise to have a flexible system that can allow for additional price levels and easy price changes. When I started the key rings I had all of them the same price, but over time I realised some were more valuable than others. My solution was to have a colour spotted price tag, but then I found I forgot to put the colour spots on when I was busy as I had to check the prices. My solution was very simple I made the title of my key ring text in different colours so I could asssemble and sell immediately.

Try and find out who else will be selling cards (especially Pheonix) and make sure your table is away from theirs. So get to the venue as soon as it opens and, if need be, badger the organiser to move your position.

A very important thing to do as soon as you arrive - find where the loos are. You do not want to waste time later trying to find them.

Take some snack food with you and some drink (preferably in a bottle as it cannot be spilt). When eating and drinking, try and be discrete.

Deal with all customers with a smile and cheerful voice, customers like dealing with happy confident people. Sometimes it can be hard with rude customers but there will always be someone closed by who might hear you replying - sometimes they may even come over and say sorry for that customer's rudeness.

Tell people you created the cards yourself and can make cards to their requirements to order. You will get bored saying it all day, but remember every customer is seeing you for the first time.

If you can keep a display book of previous cards and words, this might prove helpful for commissions. It also will act as a record for you to see how things improve over the years (I am confident you will be successful).

If you can have any materials to create cards at the show, this will always create more interest and stops boredom setting in on a slow day.

Now for a few no, no's.
Do not read a book or newspaper.
Do not have long conversations on your phone or keep texting, deal with your customers first.

No doubt I shall think of a few more points and will add them later.

Roger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:44 pm 

wow thanks guys *goes off to find pen and paper* lots of helpful ideas. I'm very lucky that I will be the only card seller there, so no competition and its for 3 hours (which is long enough to start with!). Not sure what table size I'll have (guessing it'll be a classroom table) but have cloth big enough to cover that.

Was just wondering whether I should make a scrapbook album of my bespoke orders - now I shall definitely do so (clearly great minds all think alike).

Vicky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:36 pm 

Lot's more where that came from Lucy have been doing fairs on and off for 20+ years, large and small. One thing I have learned is to make to suit the event in some cases that is not relevant but in my case going to the Cheeky Monkey tea party on the 28th know I am taking a load of stuff more geared towards children and smaller pockets. If a pamper event then more adult style things and eye masks etc.

http://www.caroleecrafts.com
http://caroleecrafts.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:29 pm 

I would add, be colour/brand coordinated - last week end the stall opposite me had a fantastic stall and branding - all white and turquoise - looked great, but the maker was wearing a bright red dress - both my husband and I wear clothes that go with our colour schemes