All times are UTC [ DST ]

Confused - soap making business? would appreciate advice
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:25 pm 

Hello all!

As some of you may know I have been dancing around making bath bombs for a bit & now I am about to start making soap. I really want to make a go of it and hopefully make a living! I drove Jude crazy for a bit there I think ;-) (thanks for all the advice - got that nailed now)

I have been looking at what other people are making and reading lots of blogs and a lot say that artisan soap is very difficult to make money at? Will require stacks of space and is a flooded market.... A supplier of equipment has suggested that I use someone to make me short runs of triple mill soap instead and concentrate on marketing? Not really what I had in mind - but would welcome your opinions.

I had a little business on the go whilst bringing the kids up (0 to 3 & 4) - I closed it a month or so ago as it became to competitive - I need to start earning - but dont want to waste the small amount of money I have on the wrong direction!

Please feel free to encourage in a direction or point out pitfalls - I have a thick skin so please feel free to be direct ... all comments welcome. I really need to get started on something!

Thanks in advance

Phil

Re: Confused - soap making business? would appreciate advice
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:01 pm 

The biggest question you have to ask yourself is do you want to be a soap maker or a soap seller? I would imagine it's so much easier to promote your products when you've made them yourself, you know what has gone into them in exact measurements and your passion would enthuse your potential customers.

I can't help with the actual soap business specifics, but the reason that the forum is called Handmade By Me is because we all are passionate about what we make (whether or not we chose to sell it)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:29 pm 

Hi LBlossom

Mmmm... I was genuinely excited about all the points you make - I see soap as a possible creative outlet - The prospect of having my own creation - know whats in it - as well as not animal tested - as ethical as we can be and so on... I would rather make than sell, but - Unfortunately, I do need to make a living at it :-( - Not sure if that is likely? I know its possible - but wondered if people on the forum were able to do so?

Kind regards

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:18 am 

I know quite a few soapies who earn a living at making soap at differing degrees but it is the same across all handmade. Whatever you make you have to be passionate about your product, branding, marketing etc. Making soap is hard as you have to ensure all details are correct through the government portal, all checked and registered, labels precise with all ingredients. I think you will find it can take a few years to get yourself really known.

Personally I could never sell others makes as I am a Handmaker and that is where my passion lies, that way I know the quality and can control the quantities etc.

I agree with Vicky, suggest you sit down with a large piece of paper and draw up pros and cons for both sides of the soap making or third party route.

You may find that a lot of craft fairs and farmers markets will not allow third party sellers in, so bear that in mind if going down the wholesale route. Plus you will have to buy large quantities in wholesale to achieve the prices that are competitive. The seller also has to be reputable a good one will wrap in your own labels for you but you are still limioting your market for selling as not yours.

http://www.caroleecrafts.com
http://caroleecrafts.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:34 pm 

Hi Caroline

Many thanks for your comments - I have decided I definitely want to go down the route of making our own :-) I think I would feel uncomfortable doing it any other way.

We have been told that the problem with making your own is limitation of how much you can make? But we shall see!

I am going to sit down over the next couple of days and draft a plan - I think. In the early days - the markets will definitely be our life blood - anyone has advice on displaying soap - I would appreciate it.

Kind regards

Phil